Note: the instructions in this FAQ apply only to the Digit User Interface.
Not sure which UI you're using? Click here to work it out!
Squirrel Street uses a sophisticated algorithm that reads the information on receipts to determine whether a receipt fits into any of our default categories. If it finds a match, it will automatically place that receipt in that default category. (Note: these are default Australian tax categories, not categories imported into Squirrel Street via an accounting package )
Our 24 default tax categories are:
- Bank Fees
- Computer Equipment
- Consulting & Accounting
- Freight & Courier
- General Expenses
- Interest Expense
- Legal Expenses
- Light, Power, Heating,
- Motor Vehicle Expenses
- Office Equipment
- Office Expenses
- Printing & Stationery
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Telephone & Internet
- Travel - International
- Travel - National
- Wages & Salaries
Want to hide the default categories?
- Log into your account, click on the account name in the top right and select Settings
- Goto the Account Settings tab Then select Currency, Tax and Language Settings.
- Deselect the checkbox under Default Australian tax categories, and Save the changes. You may need to refresh the page for the changes to be applied.
You can create your own categories, which, when assigned to receipts, will appear alongside them in your CSV or PDF reports, or in the notes section of your accounting software exports. Here's how:
1) Select the receipts you wish to assign a custom category to. The Assign categories button will appear at the top of the list of documents.
2) Click on Assign categories then click in the field that says "Choose a category". Type the name of your new category there.
3) Click on Add [your category name] and Save this to add the category to your receipt(s).
Categorising Multiple Receipts at Once
- Log into your account.
- Select the checkboxes next to all the receipts to which you want to add the category.
- Click the assign categories button
- Click the down arrow to the right of the drop down field and select the appropriate category then save.
Categorising Other Documents
At this point, Squirrel Street only categorises receipts, not other documents.
1 Here's how to assign categories to your receipts. Firstly, login via digit.squirrelstreet.com and tick the boxes next to the receipts you wish to assign the same category to.
2 Click Assign categories
3 Click the down button
4 Scroll to find the correct category. In this example, it's Travel - National
5 Click Save
6 Here's how to create a category and assign it. Select the applicable receipts.
7 Click Assign categories
8 Click directly in the top field and type the name of the category you wish to create
9 Click on the name of the new category (In this case, 'Team Building Activities')
10 Click Save
Here's how to create rules - i.e. how to automate assigning categories.
Firstly, click Automate
12 Click Manage Vendors
13 Select the vendor to which you wish to assign the rule.
14 Click Add vendor rules
15 Scroll and select the category to which you wish future receipts for this vendor to be assigned. In this example, it's 'Travel - National'
16 Click Add Rule
17 You'll see a confirmation that the rule has been added.
18 If you change your mind about a rule, simply click on the "x" next to the rule to remove it. The documents already in the account will remain categorised with that category but no further documents will be assigned that category automatically.
19 And that's it!