To view the interactive "Manage Categories" tutorial, click the link below:
Squirrel Street uses a sophisticated algorithm that reads the information on receipts to determine whether a receipt fits into any of our default categories. If it finds a match, it will automatically place that receipt in that default category.
Our 24 default tax categories are:
- Bank Fees
- Computer Equipment
- Consulting & Accounting
- Freight & Courier
- General Expenses
- Interest Expense
- Legal Expenses
- Light, Power, Heating,
- Motor Vehicle Expenses
- Office Equipment
- Office Expenses
- Printing & Stationery
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Telephone & Internet
- Travel - International
- Travel - National
- Wages & Salaries
Want to hide the default categories?
- Log into your account, click on the account name in the top right and select Settings.
- Select International on the left-hand column.
- Deselect the checkbox next to the appropriate set of default categories.
You can create your own categories, which, when assigned to receipts, will appear alongside them in your CSV or PDF reports, or in the notes section of your accounting software exports. Simply use the "+ create new category" button in the assign category drop down menu in the Receipts page.
Categorizing Multiple Receipts at Once
- Log into your account and click on Receipts.
- Select the checkboxes next to the receipts that you want to add to a single category.
- Click the assign category drop down list
- Select the appropriate category. If you want to create a new category to add the receipt(s) to, choose create new category.
- Whenever you categorize a receipt, our categorization system will ask if you want to make rules to auto-categorize receipts from that same vendor in the future. To edit or add auto-categorization rules any time, click on manage next to the category filter on the receipt page. On this page you can add or remove rules by category.
Categorizing Other Documents
At this point, Squirrel Street only categorizes receipts, not other documents.